Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:50:28 -0400
From:      "jflowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        rick-freebsd2008@kiwi-computer.com,krad <kraduk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dd copy of FreeBSD-7.2 won't boot

I wound up using kraduk's suggestion except for using a snapshot instead of a
live file system.  Because the source disk had suffered DMA errors and a few
files lost to SOFT UPDATE errors, I built a full system first and then let
rsync merge the two.

mount -u -o snapshot /snapshot/snap1 /
mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /snapshot/snap1 -u 4
mount -r /dev/md4 /mnt
mount /dev/ad4s1a /mnt_t
rsync -aPH --exclude=usr/dumps/** /mnt/* /mnt_t
umount /mnt
mdconfig -d -u 4
umount /mnt_t

repeated for all partitions (/ /tmp /var /usr).

Also had to edit transferred fstab to reflect new device name (ad4) and
install a new boot0.

mount /dev/ad4s1a /mnt_t
vi /mnt_t/etc/fstab
umount /mnt_t

fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 /dev/ad4

18 GB took about 20 minutes to complete snapshots and another 25 minutes to
transfer via rsync.

Thanks for all the help.

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:49:50 -0500, Rick C. Petty wrote

--
Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>