Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:30:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Javier Henderson <javier@kjsl.com>
To:        Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two routers back to back: Do they need real ip-adresses?

Bill Vermillion writes:
 > Leif Neland recently said:
 > > We had to put in a cisco 1605 router (with 2 ethernet ports) between our
 > > net and our isp supplying our backbone connection.
 >
 > > The "ethernet", which is only a crossed 10BT cable between the two
 > > routers, does it need real ip adresses?
 > >

 > >              +-----------+      +-----------+     +----+  -----
 > >  --our net---+ E0     E1 +------+ E0     S0 |-----+    |   \
 > >    3C's      |   1605    |  	|   100x    |     |    +----
 > >              +-----------+   ^  +-----------+	  +----+
 > >                      Can I use 192.168.1.0-adresses here?
 > > 	             Or even unnumbered ip?
 >
 > As long as both routers know about the other and it is an ethernet
 > connection - just hook them together.  I did that in the process of
 > moving 4 C's from one provider to another. It made it convenient
 > and then I could upgrade the IOS on the first.

	I'm trying to understand why you want the 1605 in place. Can't
you just connect "our net of 3C's" to Ethernet 0 on the first
router (the one with Serial0 connectd to your ISP)?

 > > Our uplink isp wants us to subnet one of our C's in a /30, is this
 > > really nessecary?
 >
 > That's typically the address of the serial port.   A /30 gives a
 > four address range.  The network number, 2 IPS, and a broadcast
 > number.   The ones I've seen have the ISP as the lower of the two
 > addresses and the client as the upper of the two.   These normally
 > are not part of your address space.

	The above is correct, though your ISP probably wants you to
use numbered links so packets generated by either router have an IP
source address of the interface from which they are leaving the
router. This can help troubleshoot certain network problems.

-jav