Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 00:10:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/20270: libtool ldconfig and shlibs

The following reply was made to PR ports/20270; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: FUJISHIMA Satsuki <k5@cheerful.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 00:06:18 -0700

 Hi,

 On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 04:26:50AM +0900, FUJISHIMA Satsuki wrote:
 > 	libtool installed with ports/devel/libtool runs ldconfig when
 > 	shared library installed. This is FreeBSD specific, and now
 > 	bsd.port.mk handles this properly. So libtool doesn't need to run
 > 	ldconfig.

 Well yes, and no.  Any ports specific behaviour in libtool is controled
 by command line options, so I'd have to add one for not running
 ldconfig when it's run from bsd.port.mk.

 > 	The problem happens when you deinstall this port; pkg_delete
 > 	removes all plugins and directories and then try to ldconfig -R.
 > 	Of course there are no such directories and complains:
 >
 > ===>  Deinstalling for xmms-1.2.2
 > ldconfig: /usr/X11R6/lib/xmms/Output: No such file or directory
 > ldconfig: /usr/X11R6/lib/xmms/Effect: No such file or directory
 > ldconfig: /usr/X11R6/lib/xmms/General: No such file or directory
 > ldconfig: /usr/X11R6/lib/xmms/Visualization: No such file or directory
 >
 > 	So I think that ldconfig run by libtool is overkill.

 It's also harmless.  Other than in this case.  I think we have multiple
 problems here:

 1.  ldconfig should be ignoring non existant directories.
 2.  bsd.port.mk should run ldconfig before @dirrms.
 3.  libtool shouldn't be running ldconfig for modules (xmms's plugins
 are compiled with --avoid-version).

 I'll fix the last problem.

 Regards,
  -Jeremy

 --
 FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                            http://www.freebsd.org/