Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 12:43:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
To:        miles.sso.loral.com!rpt@werple.net.au (Richard Toren)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Subject:   Re: A quick vote on pthreads PLZ

> Before throwing about the word POSIX, I think that a proposal of exactly
> what you are intending if this is put in as part of the base OS.

The proposal (at least as I see it) is to continue to build the normal libc
with no compiled object size or performance impact. Non-threaded applications
will continue to work as they always have.

The issue of thread support being 'part of the base OS' is one of where the
source code is live. The proposal is to add to the existing libc source in
a way that allows the threaded library specific code to be pre-processed out
when building the normal libc. The threaded version of libc will be compiled
as a separate exercise. Those who don't want a threaded library won't have
to build one.

>  Are we looking at truely preemptive threads ( all non-atomic reads are
> locked in the libraries)?

Yes.

> Just some food for thought. I have used pthreads since this summer to
> practice threaded code analysis and construction, but I knew it was just
> a package, and had limitations. If it is advertised as being part of the
> OS, (and possibly POSIX) wil lit mislead people?

Doubt it.

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street