Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:05:36 +0800 (SST)
From:      Kevin <kevinx@singnet.com.sg>
To:        "David R. Tucker" <drt@drt.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM ThinkPad

> Kevin <kevinx@singnet.com.sg> writes:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Trying to install fbsd-2.2.5 on this old Thinkpad 345CS.
> > But got this on the bootup:
> >
> > /stand/sysinstall running as init on vty0
> > panic : page fault
> >
> > and it rebooted.
> >
> > I think it got something to do with 'pcvt'?
> >
> > Thanks
> > kevin
>
> I don't know if this is your problem, but old Thinkpads have a
> brain-damaged floppy; you have to use set flags=0x10 for the sc0
> device in the boot configuration screen.

Okie, tried to change it to flags=0x10, but it still crashed. :<
I have searched thru the mailing list archive, and found someone mentioned
about it. The solution is to add the below options to the kernel.

# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
device          vt0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
# This PCVT option is for keyboards such as those used on IBM ThinkPad laptops
options         PCVT_SCANSET=2 # IBM keyboards are non-std

Now the problem is, how can I build a custom bootfloppy? With those
options enabled in the kernel.

(I really dont wish to throw away this thinkpad!)

Thanks
kevin