Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:36:03 -0500
From:      Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fvwm95 port; xpm port make problems

To all:

Got the port skeleton for fvwm95; ran make, install; ftp'd to freebsd.org
for dist; then the process hung when it didn't find the xpm directory on my
machine.

Got the xpm port; ran make install; ftp'd to freebsd.org for dist; then the
process hung on "can't find xmkmf."

Since I had the distribution, I cd to /usr/ports/graphics/xpm where I found
the files partly installed.  In the xpm directory, ran make install; the
process hung with the same error: "can't find xmkmf."

I tried piping the output of make install to xmkmf like so:

make install | /usr/X11R6/bin/xmkmf

This is what happens:  1) the Makefile is renamed Makefile.bak 2) some
compilation begins 3) the process hangs with the message "can't find imake."

I'm new at FreeBSD and ports, so there may be just a little tweak needed to
a patch or makefile to get this to work.   I looked around but saw nothing
obvious.  Any ideas?

Michael Alwan