Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 11:21:15 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Ken Key <key@cs.utk.edu>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sony PRD650-WM and 2.2.5-STABLE?

> > I'm about ready to wipe and load Win95 (but it won't stay long! :-)
> > just so I can test the darn player to make sure the drive isn't toast.
>
> Ahh, you haven't initialized it under Win95?  Unfortunately, I couldn't
> get it to work at all until *after* I used under Win95.  Then, it seemed
> to work fine from that point on, even after power-cycling and has worked
> since.  Maybe the Win95 driver did something to the card/CD player to
> make it work fine, but it was required for my So y CD650.

Perhaps it has a soft-settable CIS, and has to be initialised first?

Many of the "generic" PCCARD interface chipsets have their CIS in an
external EEPROM, allowing them to be personalised for a given vendor.
Some vendors may decide to wait until the user gets the card before
actually writing this information.

Just a guess...

mike