Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:11:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Daniel Holmes <danielh@zorkmid.dakcs.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ GEOM tests ] vinum drives lost

Lars Eggert wrote:

> For some reason I was under the (mis?)impression that ccd was no longer
> being maintained... If it works with geom, we can probably move our
> machines over to ccd. They're all no-frills stripes, so ccd
> functionality is good enough.

From the man page of ccd:

  ccd has an option for a parity disk, but does not currently implement it.

and

  In an event of a disk failure, you can use dd(1) to recover the failed
  disk.

As I understand vinum & ccd (please correct me if I am wrong), this will
keep ccd from ever achieving the performance and ease of use of vinum.
I use vinum for a simple mirror, and found it easier to configure than
ccd.  Keeping it from running in 5.0 would probably kill a lot of setups.

Thanks,
Dan
--
Daniel D Holmes, N7NKR          	I'net:  DANIELH@DAKCS.COM
Standard disclaimers apply wherever you can find a sticky spot.