Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:43:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Manes <anarchy@crl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   laptop installation

I was trying to install FreeBSD 3.1 on my Dell Inspiron 7000, and I keep
getting a 'Missing Operating System' on boot. It installs perfectly
on a 1gb partition I made using PQ Magic (resized the 9.5gb FAT32 Dell
creates).

The only thing I can think of is that since the partition is at the end of
the drive, it crosses (or is beyond) the 1024 cylinder limit, thus making
it unbootable by the bios through the mbr. That's of course if I'm right
about that limitation. Is there any way to make FreeBSD use a bootblock
instead of going through the mbr? I believe I had the same problem on my
desktop's 9gb drive when it was at the end, and I thus moved it to the
beginning of the 2gb secondary. Linux works perfectly at the end of the
desktop 9gb drive utilizing a boot block...