Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 02:00:20 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        gvbmail@tns.net (GVB)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We are a growing ISP, need some advice!

On 12 May 1999 11:53:03 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:
>Mail server is a PentiumII 233 with 384 megs of RAM running UW SCSI hard
>drives.  It is currently 2.2.8 with sendmail and Qpopper.
>Our web server is a PentiumII 266 with 384 megs of RAM running UW SCSI hard
>drives. It is currently 3.1 running Apache-ssl with Frontpage extensions.
>
>We have about 150 virtual domains running on the web server and about 800
>dialin accounts + the mail from all the virtual domains running off of that
>one mail server.

Why keep all your virtual domains on one machine? Take off 50 from the
machine, and get another machine and add them to the new machine.  There is
no reason they need to be in the same location.

>We are starting to see a definite need for a bigger
>server farm.  My question is, what should my growth point be from here, how
>do I scale this thing to accomidate all the users and domains I am hosting,
>because we are noticing the hardware starting to slow, the mail server
>actually hits swap space, even with 384 megs of RAM in it.
>
>I have read up on doing round robin DNS with the Web Servers, but never
>really understood how the disks are synched up, does it run on NFS with one
>machine serving the content?

Just put some of your customers on a separate web server.  There is no need
to sync things up or to do round robin DNS.  Also, put all your dialup web
customers on separate machine as well if necessary.  Look to see who your
busy sites are and divide accordingly.  When you setup your virutal
domains, just tell the customer to make mail.yourcustomersdomain.com their
mail server, and to mail www.yourcustomerdomain.com the location to
upload/publish their pages to.

>How about scaling the mail servers?  Where can I read up on setting up
>multiple mail/pop3 servers?  What is the best solution to do this.

Look at a) more RAM, b) faster drives, or c) some sort of RAID solution.
Try putting your mail spool on a separate drive, or dividing it up on
separate drives to balance the load.  Have a look at comp.mail.sendmail and
some of the ISP mailing lists on how to hackup qpopper to put mail in
subdirectories.  Still, 800 pop boxes is not a lot.  You must have a fairly
slow drive.  And a separate partition is NOT what you want... Separate
drives...

>Any help or refrences to books or URL's is GREATLY appriciated.

www.dejanews.com
mailling.freebsd.*,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.*,info.inet.access for the groups
you want to search.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,