Date:      Thu, 03 Feb 2000 14:31:06 -0500
From:      Michel Adamus <madamus@connectalk.com>
To:        Mauricio Marquez <mmarquez@enlace.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: deleting a nasty directory entry

Well, you can always try mc (Midnight Commander, it's in the packages,
under misc)

It might work if it tries to remove the file/folder directly from the
disk (node/inode, whathever it takes) and not using the shell, that
calls another binary (rm or rmdir) to do something with the filesystem.
I didn't test any of this, but I belive it might will work.

Good luck!

-A.

Mauricio Marquez wrote:

> Well, thanks to all that have responded but i still have the file or
> directory (i have no idea which it is).
>
> I tried with both " and ´. rm "stuff" returns Unmatched `. rm ´stuff´
> returns No such file or directory.
>
> I went with rm -i * but it says some weird characters (different that what
> appears in the ls display) is a directory. Now there´s no way I can match
> those weird characters to try to do an RMDIR ´weird chars´ and there´s no
> RMDIR -i option.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mauricio
>
> At 10:19 AM 2/3/00 -0800, you wrote:
> >On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 12:10:09PM -0500, Michel Adamus wrote:
> >
> >>      The rm command uses getopt(3) to parse its arguments, which allows
> >> it to
> >>      accept the `--' option which will cause it to stop processing flag
> >> op-
> >>      tions at that point.  This will allow the removal of file names
> >> that be-
> >>      gin with a dash (`-'). For example:
> >>            rm -- -filename
> >
> >That has nothing to do with the specific problems he mentioned; the
> >shell refuses to even start rm(1) because of the mismatched backquote,
> >and his problems with wildcard expansion would also occur before rm(1)
> >starts.
> >
> >The suggestions that other folks gave to put the filename in quotes
> >or backslash the backquote are more relevant.
> >
> >At least this is a nice change from the usual situation where
> >somebody has a filename that starts with a hyphen, and somebody
> >tells him to put the filename in quotes.
> >
> >--
> >Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Science rules.
> >http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *

- Throw me a bone here someone...