Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 15:57:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID mirroring of root partition?

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:

> I'm about to set up a machine with a RAID-capable host adapter.
> (Probably an entry-level DPT.)  The intent is to use simple
> mirroring to increase reliability.  This is my first RAID
> system; and I'm a bit unclear on some of the low-level details.
> In particular, is it safe to mirror the root partition; or could
> that lead to problems during booting?

  Putting the root partition onto a mirrored disk is always a good idea if
the hardware supports it.  In this case, the DPT controller does.  It
presents a virtual disk(s) to the BIOS for booting.

  Entry level DPT is a paradox.  Not too many of their low end cards are
still being made.  You'll probably have to use a SmartRAID IV at minimum.

> Thanks,
> -Pat

Tom