Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:15:22 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Frank Li <frank19991@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Increase memory limit ?

Frank Li wrote:
[ ... ]
> Should I add more physical memory (if so should I reinstll OS)?

If you're actually doing something where the 512 MB datasize limit matters to
you, adding more physical memory will almost certainly speed things up.

No, don't reinstall; even Windows doesn't make you reinstall the OS just
because you added memory.  :-)

> Can I just set some parameters(what?) and recompile kernel and increase
> these limits ?

32-bit systems implementing VM typically could increase user-mode address
space up to 2 GB, although variants on that and other things (ie, where
devices get mapped into memory) make that only an approximation.  For FreeBSD:

# Certain applications can grow to be larger than the 128M limit
# that FreeBSD initially imposes.  Below are some options to
# allow that limit to grow to 256MB, and can be increased further
# with changing the parameters.  MAXDSIZ is the maximum that the
# limit can be set to, and the DFLDSIZ is the default value for
# the limit.  MAXSSIZ is the maximum that the stack limit can be
# set to.  You might want to set the default lower than the max,
# and explicitly set the maximum with a shell command for processes
# that regularly exceed the limit like INND.
#
options         MAXDSIZ="(256*1024*1024)"
options         MAXSSIZ="(256*1024*1024)"
options         DFLDSIZ="(256*1024*1024)"

Depending on what you're doing, you might well find using a 64-bit platform
(Alpha hardware?  Solaris on SPARC?) to be more appropriate...

-Chuck