Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:34:23 -0600
From:      Server Admin <admin@sage-one.net>
To:        amckay@istop.com, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting up Vhosting on Dynamic IP

When using a dynamic IP, the ppp startup lines must be listed above the
natd lines in rc.conf so that ppp will start first and tun0 will be
initiated with a newly assigned dynamic IP as in my setup. If you have a
static IP, then it probably won't matter.

The ipfw variable settings only reminded me which external interface to
pick because I also had the r10 interface listed but commented out. My
comment about the ipfw probably wasn't necessary for your question about
setup of natd...

At 05:20 PM 3.12.2002 -0500, Alan McKay wrote:
>> The IPFW settings had to do with setting up the interface variables in
>> the firewall rule script. In mine the outside interface is "tun0"
>> {oif}. Real important is to make sure the PPP is set to be initiated
>> prior to the natd stuff in rc.conf. The "tun0" setting must be running
>> (exist) first for natd to see it properly.
>
>That's not rc.conf, though is it?  That's just config variables and
>the order in which they appear does not matter.  What matters is
>who reads the file first (to the best of my understanding the file
>gets red quite a few times during bootup, but many different scripts,
>all of which ignore everything but the stuff they are interested in)
>
>cheers,
>-Alan

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,