Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:21:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>, jbiquez@icsmx.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advice with old equipment.

Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com> types:
> Jorge Biquez wrote:
> >         1 Pentium PRO DOUBLE Processor 200 Mhz. 256 RAM.2 Disks of 4 GB each one.
> >         1 Pentium II 350 Mhz. 128 RAM. 2 Disks of 4 GB each one.
> > My question is. What would be your advice on which machine will perform
> > better with FreeBSD? and Why?
> Well, it depends on the P-II 350. If you have one with PC-100 memory,
> it can out perform the dual machine by 50% because of the memory
> bandwidth. The rule of 1.8 times the cpu speed for duals would have
> the PPro only out performing a P-II 350 with PC-66 memory. If you need
> parallel processes, then the dual machine can be faster but I can't
> guess when.

Unless I've been misinformed, the PIIs internal cache is only half
speed, wherease the PPro is full speed. So for memory access that are
cache hits, the PPro will give you 200MHz speed, but the PII will only
get 175MHz.

I've been told by reliable people that the PPro's benchmark at 190% of
the speed of PIIs at same clockrate because of this. This implies that
the cache hit rate is pretty high for the application in question,
though.

> I think a lot of people have webservers on older system. I think
> either would be adequate unless your have a lot of cgi and then you
> never have a fast enough cpu? The older one with 256MB does have an
> advantage because when you start swapping. The effective memory speed
> drops more than a factor of 2 or so. I usually tell people that it is
> 10ns vs 10ms but that isn't always a realworld fact.

Yup - disk through put is the crucial issue for a web server that's
not building most of it's pages on the fly. In that case, the system
clock - not the cpu clock - is what will matter.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.