Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:51:31 -0600
From:      "Ray Seals" <rayseals@midwestis.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Dump and Tape Density Settings

I have been playing around with the dump command and the one thing that I
don't understand is the whole tape density setting thing.  Let me explain.
I have a FreeBSD server with an external tape drive on it.  It's a 4mm drive
with a DDS 90 tape.

My script looks like the following:

dump 0nuf /dev/nrst0 /
dump 0nuf /dev/nrst0 /usr/local/src
dump 0nuf /dev/nrst0 /usr/local/www
mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind

When the script is started, I get:

DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Thu Mar 25 11:24:21 1999
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rwd0a (/) to /dev/nrst0
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 328337 tape blocks on 8.44 tape(s).
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]

Then in a minute or so, it asks for another tape.

I know this is due to the tape density or block size settings for my backup
script or is it possible that my tape is not formatted correctly?  These
were not new tapes when I got them.  Can anyone explain or show me were I
can read some more about this?

Thanks,
Ray