Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 11:04:22 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DOS Emulator (was: Re: JDK 1.02)

Joe Greco stands accused of saying:

> Whatever happened with the BSDI DOS emulator?  As I recall, Jordan posted
> a note that BSDI had agreed to provide it to us to help prevent
> stagnation...  and I don't recall hearing a word since.

It's stagnating.  At the moment SEF is putting together some hardware for
a -current machine, and will then (is now?) be working on getting the
vm86() stuff out of NetBSD into our kernel.

Then he/I/whoever will be looking at the huge pile of changes that CMH
has made to dosemu for NetBSD and integrating them with the BSDI version
so that the resultant mutant will run at least under BSD/OS and FreeBSD.

> Just wondering.  I don't have any DOS software anyways but I know it was
> of some interest to other folks.

In the short term, pcemu is alarmingly good.  In the longer term, dosemu
will be better.