Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 23:54:50 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: very slow scsi performance

> AFAIK, the DPT firmware handles the IBMs fine.  Another DPT advantage (from
> my point of view);  Linking and tagging is done by the firmware.  The
> formware is written by people who have access to a bit more hardware and
> testing environments than we do.  The DPT driver does not attempt tagging.
> No need to.

Giving applications the ability to control the tag types is very powerful.
It gives you explicit control over transaction ordering.  The fact that
the DPT cards export an interface to control the tag type is good, but
the fact that the controller driver does not export the ability to
set it is not.  I'm sure that when the DPT driver is integrated into
the CAM framework, it will the application specified tag type.

--
Justin