Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:36:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      "James D. Butt" <jbutt@mwci.net>
To:        Denny Reiter <mcneills@inw.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Car Mp3 Player

> 5 years) is the COLD.  It's so damn cold here in Illinois that I
> have to take the thing out of the car whenever I leave.  And every-
> one else was having problems with heat dissipation :-)

Cold is a major issue..

Even with matrix orbitals Extended temp units are -20 to +70 C

That is no good for a few months here.. Over last few weeks any night time
temp at -20 C would be nice.

But even more of a problem is hard drives.. They do not like cold much at
all.. When they are spining they seem to keep warm but I really hesitate
to spin a drive up that has been sitting for a few hours bellow freezing.

I have been trying to figure out how to best deal with the above
situations.

I did get a Hot Little Therm www.spiderplant.com to measure tempature.

Things I have come up with are:

1. Leave the drive and LCD spun up. Questions.. Will they maintain a warm
temp?? (I think the drives will but the LCD I am pretty sure will not)

2. Figure out someway to boot the machine to some type of flash and
somehow not spin up the drives or turn on the LCD until it is sure the
temp is in range. (Normal solid state electronics may be better to just
not even give the machine power until it is in temp range (Need to pull
some project books out))

3. Find some sort of non mechanical storage device that does not have
problems with the cold. Wow if I would only win the lottery.

Then the problem is as Denny said.. Here we deal with a tempature
variation from -30 F now to 110 F in august. So when it is hot I am going
to have to deal with it melting.

What I would really like is to have the machine running 24x7 and I need
some type of global network that works like everywhere (even if it was
fairly low speed (300-2400bps) so that I can constantly stay in touch
while I travel.. then when you finger me@mobile it will output my current
lat/long and velocity and stuff like that.. Really does not have much of a
point but seems sorta cool..

  James D. Butt 'J.D.'
  Network Engineer                                   Voice 319-557-8463
  Network Operations Center                          Fax   319-557-9771
  MidWest Communications, Inc.                       Pager 319-557-6347
  241 Main St.                                          noc@mwci.net
  Dubuque, IA  52001                                   jbutt@mwci.net
JD's thoughts:
Drive defensively Buy a tank. FreeBSD: The power to serve! www.freebsd.org

I use UNIX because reboots are for hardware upgrades.
You use windowze because the guy on TV told you to ...