Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:00:41 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDStats project, interesting returns from OpenBSD

--==========BF6AA6DFA1808315373A==========

--On Thursday, September 14, 2006 08:40:21 -0500 Doug Poland=20
<doug@polands.org> wrote:

> I just glanced at the latest statistics on www.bsdstats.org.   In the
> last week or so OpenBSD has "overtaken" FreeBSD in the USA.
>
> Should one conclude that OpenBSD admins have enthusiastically embraced
> this project and FreeBSD admins have not; or, is OpenBSD really more
> widely deployed than FreeBSD?

What page are you looking at?  www.bsdstats.org shows 2868 FreeBSD machines =

and 1379 OpenBSD machines.  Only in the US is OpenBSD "ahead" of FreeBSD.=20
So I suppose you could say that OpenBSD admins *within* the US have=20
embraced the project more willingly than FreeBSD admins or OpenBSD is more=20
widely used *within* the US.  But I doubt any of this is meaningful.  It=20
won't be until we get a great deal more systems reporting.  5097 systems=20
worldwide must be less than 1% of the total systems in use worldwide, I=20
would think.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas