Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 19:13:48 -0400
From:      John Garrison <jeg@visi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   repost boot problem question

I first sent this before I was a member of the list so I don't know if
it went through.  If it did then I am sorry for repeating.

I just installed FreeBSD on the last 3 gig of my 12 gig hard drive.  (It
came partitioned that way from the factory) I would like to boot it but
pressing F2 just beeps.  I have read the faq and they say that I have to
toggle a field in my bios about "> 1gb support"  but my bios (compaq
presario 5245) does not have such a flag.  the only flags are:

Enhanced IDE
Ultra 33
Primary IDE controller
Secondary IDE controller

Is there anyway at all to boot this from my system without
repartitioning the hard drive.  Windows is to stupid to boot from any
partition but the first, so if I put FreeBSD where it would have to be
Windows would only have like 500 meg.  My main reason for wanting to
keep windows right now is a couple of games I want to keep playing and
about 200 meg of website that I don't want to have to back up to
reinstall on my FreeBSD system.  I am a linux user, that blasted Windows
off of my old computer and haven't regretted it.  I may get tired of
these games and go ahead and back up the website somewhere (its's to be
served right of my computer) then put FreeBSD on the whole drive.  Maybe
WINE will run the games and I can do this sooner.

Anyhow If I can't boot from the hard drive can I get a boot disk
somewhere that will allow me to use the FreeBSD on my computer.  I got
picoBSD but that doens't allow me access to my hard drive.  All the boot
disk instruction assume you already have access to your system which I
don't (I am dying to run gnome on a 400mhz instead of a 90 mhz)  I have
the installation boot disks but that just goes to the install program
and I can't get to my hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, windows has crashed on me one
time to many!