Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:27:37 -0500
From:      Mike Alich <hostmaster@cctinc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Routing Email

I am hoping someone can help me here...

I have been reading the sendmail manual, on news groups, faq's etc...no
luck.

I am hosting a domain lets call it xyz.com.  I want to forward all
emails addressed to this xzy.com domain to an exchange server which
resides with another isp.  I have created a special mx1.xzy.com with the
ip to the exchange server.  I have also created the /etc/mailertable.db
file and I also have mailertable enable in sendmail.  I have also
removed the xyz.com domain from my sendmail.cw files.  Every time I try
to send an email to the domain it thinks it is local and comes back with
a "user unkowen" error.  I have run sendmail from the unix prompt in
verbose mode to watch what was going on and it never attempts to go to
the other server, it just remains local.  I dont believe it is even
reading the mailertable file.  Is there a way of testing the mailertable
feature?

Here is what my mailertable looks like:
.xyz.com    smtp:mx1:xyz.com

I have even substituted the smtp:mx1.xyz.com with smtp:[ip address to
exchange server]

No luck, I did a nslookup on the mx1 record for the domain and it is
fine.

I hope someone has an idea, I don't know which way to go from here.  Is
there any special setup on the exchange server that I need to be aware
of?

also this was working until we transferred the domain to our server, so
it is not a new setup or anything.

One mroe thing, how with my email aliases such as info, etc be
effected?  Do they need to be in my virtusertable.db or not?

Thanks in advanced!!!

Mike Alich