Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:32:46 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   M_ flags summary.

First I would like to apologize for my responses, I should have
tried to maintian more of a professional attitude and approach.
The fact of the matter is that everyone that has been involved I
respect greatly and would hate to have soured what should have been
a good working relationship.

Moving along, it seems that we have the primary caretakers of the
allocation subsystems and cvs (bmilekic, jeff, peter) mostly in
favor of this change or at least moving forward rather than backward
on the issue.

We have binary compatibility because the WAIT "flag" was actually
zero and that hasn't changed.  Remeber, only 5 files have changed
md5s from LINT, one has a __DATE__ tag in it and the other is vers.o,
the rest were because of string changes I made.

Peter has made a suggestion that we ressurect the WAIT "flags" for
KLD_MODULES.  I'm do not object to it, but I do not think it's
needed.

Reasons for not bringing back or changing the flags:
  1) we'll go back to having the same problems.
  2) if we change the 0'd flag to 0x2 then we:
       waste a bit and
       have a failure case where the default was fine.
  3) garbage in cvs.

Personally I would like to see M_NOWAIT defined in a single place
rather than in both malloc.h and mbuf.h, anyone have a suggestion
for that?

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]