Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:42:46 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Greg Quinlan <greg@qmpgmc.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Natd - IP Redirect!

On Wed, 02 Dec 1998 at 15:41 SAST, Greg Quinlan wrote:

> Can the the natd (network address translation daemon) be used as a telnet
> proxy server in conjuction with dual-homed ip firewall? What I mean is can
> I have traffic from a 192.168.x.x local network telnet to a host on the
> internet.

Yes, easily.  (It is not, strictly speaking, a proxy though.)

> If so can you please send me an example of how I might do this in a secure
> manner.

Even with NAT, the telnet process is still not secure, i.e. your username and
password on the remote host to which you're telnetting is still going across
the net in the clear.  Suggest you try SSH or similar.

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559