Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 16:27:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Crispin <MRC@Panda.COM>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 19:06:52 -0500 (EST), Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 	Your software is broken in that it *does not* discourage the use
> of NFS mail spools.  As a systems *programmer*, I can understand why you
> do this, because it reduces the number of bug reports you receive...as
> a systems *administrator*, I feel your software is broken by *not*
> discouraging the use of NFS mounted spools.

The market does not share your openion.

> > And no, I am not going to screw 99% of the market for you.
> 	I honestly thing you are deluding yourself with this figure...

What evidence do you have that FreeBSD represents as much as 1% of the UNIX
market?  I believe that it is much smaller.

> 	Ah, so now that it seems to be determined that SVR4 and Linux both
> set their mail spools to 775, and we know that IMAP is broken unless the
> mail spool is set to 1777, *and* you've stated that the world has basically
> adopted Linux...doesn't that heavily change your '99%' figure?

No.  The 99% figure has to do with using .lock files and permitting NFS
access.

Linux has a different problem.  They want all mail readers to run with
privileges.

> 	What is considered 'system call locking'?  fcntl *and* flock, or one
> of them?  or...?

Either fcntl or flock.

>  Both Linux *and* Solaris 2.5.1 support both, if that is
> the case...

The operating system support isn't the issue.  It's what the delivery agents
use.  The delivery agents on Linux and Solaris use .lock files, not system
call locking.

> 	right, so now SVR4, Linux *and* FreeBSD break IMAP

Actually, no.  Some of the SVR4 and Linux guys run it with SGID mail, although
I discourage them from doing that.