Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:28:33 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: GSOC: Qt front-ends
References:  <CA%2BnOTRiuJrVB_FSX2U18yd4ETD6mD004Mb%2BAh0Q-evofsqirnw@mail.gmail.com> <60A4F968-60A4-4C71-AD53-BA1BC6CBAB5F@longcount.org> <CA%2BnOTRjU8tBc5KwebxCzE%2B5XGUqSqpzn=O=UFuqT0LUB3M28mQ@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BnOTRgYm88Lwz=Z_=iVW8hDdKCkxMjUf=y9xHkOi0ExHjMfRw@mail.gmail.com> <CADLo83_GJxB0UZGp6KR8nDZcnO3hdRJ6Jw8RFG5J6Z2BLdvYRg@mail.gmail.com> <8af7c4b114d6f1a44cf157a64fee3a7f@mail.0x20.net>

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net> wrote:

> Am 24.04.2013 13:44, schrieb Chris Rees:
>
> Our kernel is actually very easy to configure, so I'm not convinced that
>> it's needed; you may be thinking of Linux's menuconfig, but I think that
>> is
>> because of the complexity.
>>

> It _is_ easy. But having a nice graphical tool which draws a pretty table
> of
> GENERIC and NOTES together with useful information about the possible
> options
> and devices would be a handy thing to have IMHO.
> Let's make FreeBSD userfriendly :-)

Especially if it handles dependencies!  For example, check USB Disk
Support, and have scbus, da, etc enabled automatically.  Or having the
LIBICONV stuff enabled if you add MSDOSFS support.  And so on.

That part of kernel configuration (keeping track of what devices require
which options and other devices) is currently the hardest part for newbies
(and even for some seasoned kernel compilers!).

Yes, the output of "config KERNELNAME" or "buildkernel KERNCONF=KERNELNAME"
will tell you about missing dependencies, but it breaks automated
compile/install processes.  Having the "create kernel config file" step
take care of dependencies would be nice.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com