Date:      Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:56:13 -0500
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        Brian John <brianjohn@fusemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: driver for CompUSA wireless card?

Quoting Brian John <brianjohn@fusemail.com>:

> Hello,
> I just picked up CompUSA's generic PCI 802.11g card.  FreeBSD did not
> recognize it after my install.   I was able to get it to install
> using windows drivers.  However, if possible I would like to use one
> of the native FreeBSD drivers.  I've never done this sort of thing
> before.

If you wanted native OS support, you probably should have done more
research before buying.  I don't know anything about your card in
particular (and you didn't supply many details), but I suspect from the
fact that it _is_ a "generic" CompUSA card that native FreeBSD support
is not likely to be very important either to the manufacturer or the
user base and therefore probably hasn't happened (and probably won't).
That said, if the NDIS (Windows) emulation driver does everything you
need it to, then there really isn't any reason not to keep using it.

For future reference, the best-supported wireless driver in FreeBSD is
currently ath(4).  The manpage has a URL for an up-to-date list of
compatible hardware (and who makes it).

JN