Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:34:55 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Help! "Fatal trap 1: privledged instruction trap" while inst

In message <XFMail.001213152241.jhb@FreeBSD.org>, you wrote:

>On 13-Dec-00 Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>>
>> In message <200012132120.eBDLKr310117@mass.osd.bsdi.com>,
>> Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>>
>>>Also, the VESA code isn't in GENERIC, says he just looking.
>>>
>>>I'm sorry; I don't have any other great ideas.  Try a new video card. 8)
>>
>> OK. I went today and bought a new ATI Xpert 98 video card.
>>
>> I installed it into the system in question.
>>
>> I tried to install FreeBSD again.
>>
>> Still no-go.  I am getting EXACTLY the same error as before at EXACTLY
>> the same point in the process.
>>
>> Another data point:  I had an old FreeBSD 3.3 CD lying around, so I tried
>> that, and sure enough it works!  No problems and I get past the kernel
>> initial boot.
>>
>> So OK chaps... What does it all mean?
>
>Install nasm and do the dd pipe Mike Smith suggested (the one on /dev/mem) so
>we have a guess on how to work around this.

As I pointed out to Mike Smith, I can't install _anything_ because I haven't
even installed FreeBSD yet.

As I noted earlier, I can't even get past the kernel boot up process that's
being done at the beginning of the FreeBSD install.  Thus I haven't even
installed FreeBSD on this system yet.  It has only blank/empty disk drives
on it.

>> Based on the evidence, I am inclined to say that there is a definite bug
>> in the FreeBSD 4.1.1 generic kernel.  I mean hay!  FreeBSD 3.3 boots up
>> fine on the exact same hardware.
>
>3.3 didn't have VM86 support in the kernel by default.

Ah ha!  So this is what has changed between 3.3 and 4.1.1.

That vm86 stuff is obviously what is causing the problem.

MORE DATA:  Since I have already swapped just about every other component
on this system (except the motherboard and the case) I tried yanking out
the good old reliable Adaptech 1542CP (ISA) SCSI controller and then tried
using a pair of FreeBSD 4.1 install floppies (kernel and mfsroot) to get
to the kernel boot stage.  I did that, and lo and behold if it didn't boot
the kernel just fine.

I just tried the exact same experiment, only this time with an Adaptech
2940AU (PCI) SCSI controller in the system in place of the 1542CP and
THAT ALSO WORKED JUST FINE.

CONCLUSION:  Those good old reliable Adaptech 1542CP SCSI controllers seem
to be incompatible with FreeBSD 4.1.1 and its vm86 mode.

That's a real shame since these cards *did* formerly work with FreeBSD, and
I really was counting on being able to use that card in this system. :-(

>Booting a 3.3 kernel with VM86 will probably crash as well.

I'm ignorant.  Please tell me, very exactly, how I would test that theory.
I will then be very happy to try it and report back my results.