Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 16:22:44 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question regarding info

-On [19991205 16:00], Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai (asmodai@wxs.nl) wrote:
>The problem comes when I install ports, they place info documents into
>/usr/local/info.  And when I try to info for example libtool which is
>present in there it doesn't `know' about the .info file.  Now.  I know
>info can accept a longoption to specify the directories to look for, but
>given that the average user nowadays doesn't seem to bother to man info
>before looking further and that I am fairly positive that this used to
>work before and I wonder if something is b0rked.

OK, nothing seems to be borked except that:

if you decide to cleanse /usr/local and accidently rm all in info you
should be well after your next make world, since the makefile targets in
src/share/info/Makefile will make sure that if the file doesn't exist it
will get copied (dir-tmpl to dir that is) so that it is ready to
register info files.

naturally if dir exists and we make world we don't want to overwrite our
present dir with a copied over dir-tmpl.

The `problem' (as found in mailinglist archives under install targets
fail to register info files) is that if the file in question (dir) is
zero-length or otherwise does not contain dir-tmpl stuff, the info files
cannot register.

Mayhaps this info/dir `problem' might be suitable for a FAQ entry?  It
will surely answer the archived questions about info files failing to
install.

with thanks to Peter Wemm for pointing some things out.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai           asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl]
Documentation nutter.          *BSD: Technical excellence at its best...