Date:      19 Aug 1996 16:36:44 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@jnx.com>
To:        julian@freefall.freebsd.org (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit:  src/sys/kern kern_conf.c uipc_socket2.c

julian@freefall.freebsd.org (Julian Elischer) writes:

> julian      96/08/19 12:22:27
>
>   Modified:    sys/kern  kern_conf.c uipc_socket2.c
>   Log:
>   for kern_conf.c, start allocating dynamic major numbers
>   half way through the range rather than possibly colliding with
>   fixed elements. Increase the size of the arrays to take this into account..
>   remember that each element in the array is now only 1 ponter  so this
>   isn't that much..
>
>   also note a possible bug in debugging code in uipc_socket2.c (add XXX)

Two suggestions relating to the same thing --

It would be a good thing(tm) if the #define CDEV_MAJOR and
#define BDEV_MAJOR definitions were completely removed from all .c files.

Instead, configure should read in the files config/majors and
i386/config/majors.i386 and produce a bunch of "major_xxx.h" files,
each with a #define XXX_CDEV_MAJOR <n> values.

In addition, an optional hack (I don't love it, but WTF) is that config could
also generate a "major_used.h" file that contains a structure containing a
list of fixed major numbers not eligble for dynamic allocation.  (I like
the idea of starting dynamic major numbers at 32768 or some high number
better.)

Why am I suggesting this?  Majors.XXX is not being kept up to date for things
that require fixed major numbers.  I know, DEVFS and fully dynmic major
numbers fixes this.  I'm not holding my breath.

Paul