Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 21:16:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@icubed.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vidcontrol help

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Erik Trulsson wrote:

:)On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 08:40:31PM -0400, Christopher W. Aiken wrote:
:)> I'm trying to get a 90x43 display on my consol window.
:)> I tried everything I could think of but can not get
:)> any displays except 80x25 and 80x30.  I tried:
:)> vidcontrol 90x42
:)
:)Read the man page for vidcontrol(1) where they list the possible modes
:)and then try 'vidcontrol VGA_90x43' and see if that works.
:)(It works for me at least.)

When I issue: vidcontrol VGA_90x43 my screen clears and goes
black.  I can get a much better looking console in Linux.  I
believe they use something called "framebuffer"?

:)
:)It is also possible that your graphics card only supports a few text
:)modes. There is not much demand for text mode today so many
:)manufacturers don't bother to do anything fancy.
:)
:)>
:)> and vidcontrol just comes back with some help.
:)>
:)> Here is what I've done so far.  Any one know what
:)> I'm doing wrong? BTW I'm curious why no VESA modes
:)> are listed below in the "-i mode" output.
:)>
:)> I rebuilt a new kernel with:
:)> options         VGA_WIDTH90
:)> options         VESA
:)>
:)> I added these lines to my /etc/rc.conf:
:)> font8x8="cp437-8x8.fnt"
:)> font8x14="cp437-8x14.fnt"
:)> font8x16="cp437-8x16.fnt"
:)>
:)> After a reboot (sorry, old habits are hard to break)
:)> vidcontrol reports:
:)
:)[snip]
:)
:)
:)
:)--
:)<Insert your favourite quote here.>
:)Erik Trulsson
:)ertr1013@student.uu.se
:)
:)
:)with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
:)