Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 14:03:44 +0200
From:      "Jochim Kuebart" <joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        "Vladimir Kushnir" <kushn@olinet.isf.kiev.ua>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Motherboard or setup problem?

Do you still have the GENERIC kernel config file? Try building that kernel
again and see if it finds your wdc1. THis is likely because that kernel is
also on the install disk.

If you don't have the GENERIC file anymore, tell me and I'll send it to
you.

Then if the new kernel can find wdc1, do an option-by-option upgrade of the
GENERIC kernel config file to your current setup and check after every
single option if the problem arises. I know this is annoying, but it's
definitely a strategic way to find the problem (logic is the foudation of
function :-).

If you like you can mail me your kernel config file and I'll see if I find
the problem. But I'm not very experienced in that matter myself....

c u Jo

----------
> Von: Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@olinet.isf.kiev.ua>
> An: questions@freebsd.org
> Betreff: Re: Motherboard or setup problem?
> Datum: Samstag, 5. April 1997 00:45
>
> Doug White wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Vladimir Kushnir wrote:
> >
> > > I've got a somewhat strange problem. My FreeBSD after a while just
> > > stopped finding my second IDE controller (wdc1) and (obviously) the
> > > CDROM on it.
> >
> > Make sure that the settings for wdc1 match those given in Win95.  They
may
> > not be the default given for FreeBSD.  You can change them by booting
with
> > the -c option.
>

> Thanks a lot for your advice but the settings ar exectly the same and it
> doesn't change a thing: DOS and install. floppy from FBSD-2.2R are
> seeing wdc1 but the kernel itself doesn't want to.
>
> Sorry again for bothering with this (actually very minor for everybody
> but me) problem but PLEASE somebody help me to understand even if not
> solve this problem.
>
> Vladimir.

FreeBSD                                        <http://www.freebsd.org>;
Top breeders recommend it