Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:05:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        dgy@rtd.com, pete@sms.fi, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: broadcast video

Greetings!

> MPEG-2 is also intended for NTSC, HDTV, and computers

Yes, I understood that.  I was just trying to decide if MPEG-*1*
was perhaps a "CGA" version of MPEG-2 (i.e. lower resolution,
lots of motion artifacts, etc.) and wondering if there would be
*visible* differences in the image quality (for standard 525/60
NTSC video)

> You can easily call up Optibase or C-Cube.

Yes.  Optibase seems to have lots of information on *boards*
and C-Cubes server appears to be down.  I'll wait till later
on (i.e. the wee hours of the morning) to check again.

> An mpeg decoder chip shall run you about $40 or less.

Hmmm... I saw DEC had introduced a codec (i.e. encode capabilities
also) for $75 in *big* volume (10K pieces).  I'm still waiting to
find a simple decoder chip.  $40 would be *perfect*...

> BTW: Is your box going to run FreeBSD?

No, though I will be using my FBSD boxes here to develop the application.
There just isn't enough horsepower in a 386EX to *really* run FBSD.
Unfortunate as it sure would be nice to take say the first 20
prototypes and make a nice little video conferencing system
out of them!  :>

BTW, how does all of this compare to "Indeo" -- which I gather is
a software coder from Intel?  Depending on licensing, I may opt to
upgrade the processor to a faster beast and skip the hardware
decoder, etc.  But, I suspect I'd pay a premium price to go
that route...

--don