Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/44327: databases/posgtresql7 port doesn't automatically build

The following reply was made to PR ports/44327; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
To: Novoselov Ilya <nullguid@chertenok.tgngu.tyumen.ru>
Cc: fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar, nullguid@chertenok.tgngu.tyumen.ru,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: ports/44327: databases/posgtresql7 port doesn't automatically
 build
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 00:42:21 +0200

 Hi!

 I am just invesitgating another user reporting exactly this problem.
 /bin/sh interpretes 'cc -E' as a command name, and fails. (I can easily get
 the exact same printout by changing the space between 'cc' and '-E' to a
 0xa0 space character, but that's beside the point, there is a standard 0x20
 space in your files...)

 > It's seems to be not sh problem, but make problem.
 > I tried to cases:
 > get Gen_fmgrtab.sh execute string from make output and run it from
 > src/backend/utils directory. It proceed ok. Second, I removed generated
 > files and invoked gmake from src/backend/utils directory. And againg, it
 > proceeded ok.

 My best guess is that something is fishy with the system, somehow, most
 likely /bin/sh or /usr/bin/make...

 Some questions, just to see if your setup is similiar to this other guy:

 do you use tcsh or bash?

 which optimization level did you use when building your latest /bin/sh,
 /usr/bin/make and /usr/local/bin/gmake?

 $ ls -l /bin/sh /usr/bin/make /usr/local/bin/gmake /usr/bin/nawk /usr/bin/cc
 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  464196 Oct 14 00:20 /bin/sh
 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  208996 Oct 14 00:44 /usr/bin/make
 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  132900 Oct 14 02:13 /usr/local/bin/gmake
 -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  131880 Oct 14 00:21 /usr/bin/cc
 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  113608 Oct 14 00:44 /usr/bin/nawk

 ( I run 4.7-STABLE )

 what does your make.conf look like?

 > Seem to be port Makefile problem, for example, he does
 > things from wrong directories, or tries to do things thath postges's own
 > Makefiles should

 Nope, this is false, actually. Only the install uses gmake -C and goes
 around postgres' Makefiles. For configure and build, which is the problem
 here, there nothing fishy whatsoever in the port. plain standard vanilla,
 really. There are no build or configure targets in the Makefile.

 Also, this works for most users/machines. A few experience problems,
 though. Can it be an optimizer problem in make or sh? Is the system built
 with -O, not higher?

 /Palle