Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 23:29:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Nick Hilliard <nick@iol.ie>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

phk wrote:
> This is *CURRENT* remember ?  We want this transistion done and
> tested before current becomes 4.0-RELEASE.  The time is NOW!

Not quite:  this is -current, 4 days before a functionality freeze and
potentially less than one month before 4.0-RELEASE.  Replacing critical
parts of the system at this stage is a bad idea because it's simply not
going to leave enough time for the ata drivers to mature and stabilise to
the same level as the wd drivers.  By all means, make the transition, but if
you're going to do it, please don't release 4.0 in early Jan.

As an end user, I have no problem with the removal of the wd drivers (or
with releasing 4.0 a little later than planned), but if making this
transition is something which is going to potentially compromise either
stability or hardware support due to the time-scales involved, then it is
ill-advised.  This isn't Linux, you know.

Nick