Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 12:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make this a relese coordinator decision (was Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued)

[Trimmed cc: back a bit...]
[Brian jumps in the fray in spite of the cries "No! No!"]
On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Tom wrote:
[Now, stuff deleted so everything can be taken out of context]

>[...]  Plus, FreeBSD has perl scripts in the tree.    These apps
>should be able to take advantage of the extra structured elements (like
>improved module support) too.

Bah.  I'd love to have perl5 in the tree...well, no.  I'd like to be able
to get Perl by myself so I can have Perl5.00[4567...] rather than whatever
we have in the tree.  If we import Perl5 we'll make sure to cut out all
the stuff that comes with it so it's a half-baked import that only works
most of the time, and then when I grab some port that needs perl5.00n+1,
I'll end up grabbing the latest port *anyway* so I'll soon have two copies
of perl5 on my machine.  This is the problem I have with bloat in the
source tree.  It seems to rarely do any good to have Perl and tcl there
since I end up with three copies of each anyway.

Someone suggested that sysinstall should get it's own [cvs-speak term here
for whatever happened to the docs a while ago]..."space" so it evolves on
it's own.  That just seemed like a wildly neat idea to me.  Jordan and the
sysinstall types would be happy (heh) since they'd have tcl.  The newbies
would be happy since they had the easiest-to-use sysinstall tool on the
planet.

And the rest of us could be happy because we could use it once and then
nuke the whole sysinstall directory immediately and start installing
whatever version[s] of tcl and tk and perl [...] we want at a particular
moment, and not worry about how two concurrent versions of tcl or perl are
causing grief.

There's a strong chance I'm horribly naive on this.  I see that Jordan
desparately wants tcl to forge ahead, I just wish it was more disposable
than it is now.

I've also heard the arguments about how this is wrong, and someone
immediately takes the extreme case -- that if we get rid of perl and tcl,
then we've got to get rid of xten, tn3270, bleah, bleah, bleah.  Yea
whatever.  I don't use xten, but then xten doesn't wreak havoc on my
machine because I have three different versions of it trying to cohabitate
on my system disk.

Brian