Date:      Sat, 14 May 2005 15:21:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Stone <freebsd-security@dfmm.org>
To:        Joe Schmoe <non_secure@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: different ways to disable https in apache...

> My question is, is starting the SSl enabled apache like this, and
> running it without SSL exactly the same security-wise as running a copy
> of apache without SSL at all ?

no, it is certainly not exactly the same.  as you note, you will still
link against the openssl libraries, and even though you won't be directly
calling functions in them, I can certainly imagine an exploit that could
take advantage of their availability.

more importantly, mod_ssl modifies the apache module api, since the
standard api in 1.3 was not powerful enought for ssl to just drop in like
other modules - so the internal architecture of a mod_ssl/eapi-enabled
apache will be noticeably different from that of a normal apache, even if
all ssl functionality is disabled.

bottom line is, even if ssl functionality is turned off, it's still in
there, and it increases the complexity of the server significantly.  and
increased complexity almost always means decreased security.  if you're
not using it, and don't have immediate plans to use it, don't build it.

  -Jason