Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 17:41:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: HELP! I broke my computer!

> 	I have done something really dumb!
>
> 	I tried using cvsup to grab the 2.2.1 sources for a machine already
> 	happily running 2.2 BETA. cvsup churned for a couple of hours and said
> 	it was done. Then I did a make world. This churned for about 6 hours.
> 	Then I tried a command. I got the message "xxx.so older than expeceted.
> 	Using it anyway". Assuming thaat I needed to reboot, I did a shutdown
> 	-h now.
>
> 	Then the trouble started. The machned wento down. On the way up it
> 	stops just after mounting the root partition and dumps me into a shell.
> 	If I try to mount any other partitions, I get the mesage "ufs
> 	filesystem not available".
>
> 	HELP! Please. What can I do to get out of this mess?

It happened to me also recently. What I had to do was to get
an old mount or build a kernel for the new system. If you
don't have either you're quite lost. I believe I used the 2.2.1
fixit/boot.flp combo to get the machine up again. You will
otherwise hardly be able to even mount the root partition writable.

> 	Oh, and why isn't tar in /sbin or at leastsomewhere on teh root
> 	partition?

It is. /stand/tar.

--
Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de