Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:03:19 +0200
From:      Angelo Turetta <ATuretta@stylo.it>
To:        "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help needed: Routing problem adding alias to ep0

Hi everybody,

Please send replies directly to my address too, as I'm not subscribed to
this list.
We run virtual servers (http/ftp) for some of our clients, and I
configure them by entering a command like the following in
/etc/start_if.ep0:

ifconfig ep0 alias 193.76.98.248 netmask 0xffffffff

The server (FreeBSD 2.2.6) has a default root pointing to our main
router, and is running 'routed -q' from rc.conf.
The problem rises when I run the command above from the command prompt:
the newly added alias is not routed correctly, and I cannot ping the new
IP from the local machine (it seems to work from the network)

Here is an excerpt from the routing table after running the command
above:

193.76.98.248      193.76.98.248      UH          0        4       ep0
=>
193.76.98.248/32   link#3             UC          0        0
193.76.98.249      0:a0:24:72:7e:5c   UHLW        0    17793       lo0
=>
193.76.98.249/32   link#3             UC          0        0

.249 is another alias added with a similar command from start_if.ep0
Once I reboot the server, both aliases are routed through the loopback
interface, and anything is fine.

Can you explain why this is happening, and how can I avoid rebooting my
server every time I add an alias (had that been my goal, I would have
used NT 4.0 instead of FreeBSD :-)

Thanks for any help

Angelo Turetta
RainbowNet - Italy