From:      "Vladimir I. Kulakov" <kulakov@kudesniki.ru>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   "snmp.sample" in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

Hi, all !

I've just moved my server from FreeBSD 2.2.5 to 4.0 due
to total hardware upgrade and many security holes.

After upgrade I've mounted the hard disk from the previous
mashine and moved all user's data from /usr/home/ from it
to the new hard disk. The new mashine had new root
password, of course.

But at the next day after upgrade I've suddenly noticed
two new scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ which intended to
start at every bootup process and which I've never installed.

Moreover, at the /usr/local/sbin/ there two more
files appeared (snmpd and the second something like this).
I've never installed snmp on that mashine and mtree
tells me such files never existed there.

In the log files there are nothing special.

The new system was installed from a "clear"
distribution.

Was this a troyan programs? How can I check
my server for such security holes? And how
such programs could be installed?

May be my mistake was mounting my old disk with
securigy holes then working connected to the Internet ?
But how the hacker could execute programs even
from insecure disk on a secure mashine?

Help me, please !!!