Date:      01 Jun 2003 19:51:30 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Complicated routing/SSH-FTP tunneling problem

Daniela <dgw@liwest.at> writes:

> I have the following problem:
>
> I'm running a FreeBSD SSH server.
> Some clients can't connect to it. They are on a local network, connected to
> the internet through another server. This second server used to allow SSH
> login, and users could then connect to my server from the second server.
>
> On the second server, SSH login isn't allowed any more. It won't route any
> requests to the outside, except for mail. The FTP port is open, however. I
> heard it is possible to create a tunnel over FTP, so the clients could still
> get to my server.
>
> How could we do this (if it is possible)? Are there other ways?

You need some kind of cooperation from the other server.
It sounds like you're trying to get around security precautions of the
other server, but if that's not the case, you ought to work this out
with the administrator of the other server.

You can't create an IP tunnel over an FTP server; at least, not using
any FTP server software I know well...