Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:26:02 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lewis Thompson <lewiz@fajita.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum, replaced disk -- fsck error.

--iDgFKLa5Kp4Ejml3

On Tuesday, 16 March 2004 at 17:25:26 +0000, Lewis Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:13:25PM +0800, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 16 March 2004 at  2:00:00 +0000, Lewis Thompson wrote:
>>> I had a failed disk in my RAID-0 Vinum array.  This was a physical disk
>>> problem and in an attempt to recover as much data as possible I dd'ed it
>>> to another disk (dd if=3Dad3 of=3Dad1 bs=3D8192 conv=3Dnoerror).
>>
>> This may or may not work, depending on details you haven't reported.
>
> I can't think of anything else.  Originally I ran dd without the
> conv=3Dnoerror and it stopped at around 25GB (the disk is a 100GB).  The
> destination disk is 123GB but to my knowledge that is acceptable for dd.
>
>   During the process a number (maybe eight to ten) I/O errors were
> reported.=20

But not to me.  You've put a lot of effort into this message, but
unfortunately it doesn't contain much of what I need to know.  That's
why I gave you the URL below.

>> A good start would be to read the documentation at
>> http://www.vinumvm.org/.
>
> Unresolved bugs, 27 Feb 2000. -- this doesn't seem to have applied.
> When I started vinum (I previously ran dumpconfig) with create -f
> myconfig my data plex (comprised 2*120GB and the replaced 100GB) was
> listed as up.

I was really thinking of "What to do if you have problems with Vinum"
at http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html.

> No errors appear in any of the files in /var/log (I checked them
> all, just in case).

Above you say:

>   During the process a number (maybe eight to ten) I/O errors were
> reported.=20

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.