Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:00:24 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Harvey Lord <harveylord@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: permission

Harvey Lord said on Apr 26, 2000 at 20:40:29:
> Hi
> I emailed lastnight about this question.

I think someone suggested that you not run X as root.

> I logged in as root. Root is the only account on my boxes.

Add another account, first thing. On FreeBSD you can run
/stand/sysinstall, for example. Then su to root when you
want to do something as root; do everything else as a normal
user.

> I would use say Xterm to edit a file. I would 'Permission denied'
> I then go to the file manager or a text editor and I can do it.
> The problem happens with Linux, Solaris7, and FreeBSD.
> With BSD, I only have Xterm and I tried to compile the kernel but that fail
> because permission denied when I went to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.
> Remember, I logged in as root.

Given how little information you have supplied, this is a shot in the
dark, but: are you trying to access an NFS mounted filesystem?  If so,
you will usually not have permission to write to the file, even as
root. If your "file manager" and "text editor" are running on your
NFS server machine it's not surprising that they can access it.

I'm guessing that because (a) it's all I can think of (b) you talk of
the same problem on three machines, which seems to makes sense only if
you're trying to access the same files from all three machines. If
that's not the answer, you've done something even stranger, because
root has permission to do pretty much everything on a local filesystem
-- especially on linux. (FreeBSD files can have "immutable" flags but
they don't emerge out of nowhere, and afaik there's no such thing in
linux.) In any case, the best advice may be to first read the docs
thoroughly, then start again from scratch, and don't try any fancy
stuff like NFS (or even X) until you have the base system working
properly.

Rahul.

Rahul.