Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 2008 17:14:02 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to quickly determine if UFS2 FS is "clean" from command line?

--NjAZgGx+5kyWce/c

At work, we have some machines we're setting up that have a fair amount
of UFS2 "scratch space."

While we would prefer to leave the file systems in question intact
iff they are "clean," we do not want to run fsck(8) against them
if they are not (because we expect that it would take too long);
rather, we want to merely recreate them (with newfs(8)).

While I might be able to hack something together by cribbing
appropriate bits of fsck_ffs(8), I'm a great deal more comfortable
cobbling up glue scripts and the like -- I don't fancy myself all
that much of a C coder.

Anyone know of a reasonable way to quickly determine whether or not
a UFS2 file system is clean from the command line?

Thanks!

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--NjAZgGx+5kyWce/c

--NjAZgGx+5kyWce/c--