Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 16:33:30 -0500
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        Wayne Self <wayne@baic.com>, Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>, Michael Moran <mmoran@veronet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: E-Mail size limitation by ISPs

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 01:26:27PM -0800, Wayne Self wrote:

> PROCMAIL_MAILER_MAX [undefined] If set, the maximum size message that will
> be accepted by the procmail mailer.
>
> Does anyone know how to set this?  It looks as if you can do this
> even without using procmail as your local transport agent.  but i
> could be totaly wrong.

And what happens to a message that is too large?  Is it bounced back to
the user?

There is one danger with setting maximum sizes: Some brain dead
mailers (most notable Lotus Notes), don't understand the error codes
returned when the message is bounced back, and thinks it's a temporary
error and continue trying to deliver the message over and over and
over...

We actually had one of our T1's filled by such a misconfigured mailer....

--Mark