Date:      21 Apr 1998 20:08:55 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld over NFS

Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au> writes:
> On Tuesday, 21st April 1998, Mattias Pantzare wrote:
> >> BTW, I use hard mounts, not soft.  It's a bad idea to use soft except with
> >> read-only mounts.
> >Why?
> [...]
> But it's really quite simple: soft mounts are allowed to return errors
> after a certain number of timeouts.  So your programs will fail when
> the server goes down or temporarily is hard to reach.  Hard mounts must
> retry until doomsday.  So, in theory, the writes will complete when the
> server comes back up, even if it is next year.

s/hard/interruptible/g will at least let you interrupt processes you
*know* will not lose data (or interrupt any process and take the
consequences),without letting other processes time out and die. Keep
in mind that with hard mounts, stuff like df and mount/umount will
hang too, even if you are trying to mount / umount / change flags on a
local filesystem.

--
Noone else has a .sig like this one.