Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:37:15 +0100
From:      "Simon Griffiths" <simon.g@claycrossbs.co.uk>
To:        "Andrew Gordon" <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Identifying where the problem lies.

Thanks for your prompt reply, see comments inline.

Sorry, 4.4-RC cvsup'd from not so long back.  the version of isdnd is
01.00.1.  I hope this isnt an isdnd issue as atm I cant cvsup ;-)

> > A brief description, we are using i4b with userland ppp coupled
> with natd
>
> Any good reason for using separate natd rather than the nat built-in to
> PPP? (not that this is at all relevant to your problem)

We are, personally i dont like the inbuilt nat functions of ppp and have
long since moved to using natd and ipfw.

> > Whats happening is that the AVM!FRITZ PCI card goes off to dial our isp,
> > Demon Internet and fails with
>
> I have been using the same configuration (and ISP) without significant
> problem, though on my home system I can't use the AVM PCI due to a bug
> where it corrupts the other B channel and so interferes with voice calls
> on the same S-bus.

We dont really use the second channel here, the sales bods at seem gave us a
distinct impression that dual channel SDU would work, suffice to say it
doesnt and now they've finally withdrawn it.

> > Oct  2 12:02:17 nas isdnd[260]: DBG
> find_by_device_for_dialoutnumber: entry
> > 0, cdid in use
> > Oct  2 12:02:17 nas ppp[283]: Phase: deflink: Connected!
> > Oct  2 12:02:17 nas isdnd[260]: DBG msg_dialoutnumber: config
> entry reserved
> > or no match
>
> That line is explained by the immediately preceding one - isdnd thinks
> that the entry for rbch0 is already in use.  I assume you don't have two
> copies of PPP running?

Hmm, nope, no two copies running.  Its bizarre as it gives out those two on
boot up as well when ppp is started up.

> It's not immediately clear if you just don't have a useful set of logging
> turned on, or there really is virtually nothing happening at all at the
> isdn level.  Do you see any activity on the isdnd display?

Yep, on the console monitor we get that its trying to dial out and just sits
there for ~30 seconds then hangs up.

> I have had trouble on one particulary clueless ISDN provider (Cambridge
> Cable, now part of NTL) when the 'local-phone-dialout' was unset or set to
> the wrong value (where 'wrong' varied over time!).  Try setting this to
> the full phone number of your ISDN line (including STD and the leading
> zero).

Great, I'll find its proper cid and set that up.

> > -- ppp.conf
> >
> > isdn:
> >  set phone 0845212xxxx  # Purple
> >  # set phone 0845350xxxx        # Black
> >  # set phone 0845212xxxx        # Green
>
> I'm currently using the 08440416672 surftime number; previously I was
> using 08452120667 (green).

Were business here so no surftime :(  Also green and black are having
troubles apparently atm.

> >  # Take a wild guess at an IP number and let the other side decide
> >  set ifaddr 172.16.0.1/0 212.0.0.0/0 0 0
>
> For Demon, the far end will always be 158.152.1.222, and the near end will
> always be whatever yourname.demon.co.uk resolves to.  Your configuration
> should work, but it's tidier (and I believe fractionally faster to sign
> on) if you use the right values.  However, again irrelevant to your
> current problems.

Fair comment, We normally use an RFC1918 for our side of the tunnel on
startup for things like ipfw rules before ppp has be started.  Now were on
an isp with static IP's I probably should re-code all the rules.  Having
time as always isnt it ;-)

Thanks again for your reply,

Si.