Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:23:42 -0400
From:      DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading our mail server

Frank Bonnet wrote:
> Gerard Seibert wrote:
>> Frank Bonnet wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>> I need SCSI Disks of course , budget is around 10K$
>>
>> Why the insistence on SCSI? Is there any reason that SATA or RAID with
>> SATA is not acceptable? Just curious.
>>

>  Because I want it

I have yet to have a SATA drive last more than 10 months handling a busy
mail queue. I have SCSI drives that are four years old and still going
strong.

SATA, IMHO, is a nice fast drive for gamers. You can go to Frys and get
a speedy drive for little money. I do not trust them for mission
critical data. As they gain market share that may change. For now I've
changed far too many, I have a pop toaster down currently awaiting it's
second SATA drive in 16 months. (Professional NOC, Temp, vibration,
power all conditioned, this was a Seagate drive).

Just my experience, not looking for agreement or argument.

DAve

Veterans?