Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 22:18:05 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Mark Barbisan <barbisan@interlog.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FIPS

At 12:33 AM 8/17/98 -0400, you wrote:
>So I decided to disable the Virtual memory, I ran DEFRAG again. It still
>would only give me a max of 15.8MB. So I rebooted (put back the Virtual
>memory and such) and ran DEFRAG just to see what the drive looks like. It
>seems that there is some "Data that will not be moved" (As the Microsoft
>Defrag legend puts it) near the end of the drive (I assume probably at the
>1013 cylinder).

Defrag won't move files that are have the system, hidden, and maybe the
readonly attributes set. Doing a dir /ah /s, dir /as /s, or dir /ar /s will
list all the files with those attributes. Then you can remove the
attributes, defrag, and re-set them. This may break some older
copy-protection schemes (I happen to know of one that actually does track
the cluster a file occupies), but since you already have FAT32, you
probably don't have that problem (meaning FAT32 would break them anyways).

>Is there any way to get around this with FIPS, or any other program
>(Partition Magic)? Are there any programs that can identify certain those
>sectors so I can delete them? I would like to avoid reformatting the drive,
>but I will if I have to.

Remove the attribs, defrag, re-set attribs, do FIPS.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org