Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:18:45 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help! "Fatal trap 1: privledged instruction trap" while inst

In message <XFMail.001213160822.jhb@FreeBSD.org>, you wrote:

>On 13-Dec-00 Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> In message <XFMail.001213152241.jhb@FreeBSD.org>, you wrote:
>>>Install nasm and do the dd pipe Mike Smith suggested (the one on /dev/mem) s
>>>we have a guess on how to work around this.
>>
>> As I pointed out to Mike Smith, I can't install _anything_ because I haven't
>> even installed FreeBSD yet.
>
>Install FreeBSD 3.3, then install nasm and run the dd command. :)

This is more work that I care to undertake at the moment.

I'm just going to use my AHA-2940AU instead and throw the AHA-1542CP in the
fireplace (to get burned up with the rest of the trash).

>>>Booting a 3.3 kernel with VM86 will probably crash as well.
>>
>> I'm ignorant.  Please tell me, very exactly, how I would test that theory.
>> I will then be very happy to try it and report back my results.
>
>Compile a custom kernel with "options VM86" in the config file.

See above.  This is more work that I care to undertake right now.

I'm just going to file a PR on all of this and then see if any of the kernel
hackers give a darn about still supporting the crusty old AHA-154x cards.

P.S.  Anybody want to buy a video card?  I seem to have some extras all of
a sudden. :-)